Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Help diagnosing problems with refrigerator

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. This also
stops the ice cube maker. It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. I don't recall what was replaced. If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. If
I can fix it myself I will keep. Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

In addition to the other good advice you have, check the defrost drain to be
sure water is not collecting in the refrigerator. You may have a problem
with the defrost timer, heater, or thermostat. These are fairly easy to
troubleshoot and repair.

Don Young