Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help diagnosing problems with refrigerator

Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. This also
stops the ice cube maker. It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. I don't recall what was replaced. If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. If
I can fix it myself I will keep. Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The water line on my kenmore is controlled by a remote solenoid near
the bottom of the fridge. When I trigger the water dispenser, I hear
a distinct click as the solenoid is energized.

Listen for the click.

1. If you hear the click and there is no water, the most likely cause
is a frozen waer line. Reinsulate the water line.

2. If no click then bad solenoid.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 05:45:19 -0700 (PDT), Brent Bolin
wrote:

Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. This also
stops the ice cube maker. It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. I don't recall what was replaced. If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. If
I can fix it myself I will keep. Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Oct 23, 8:45*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) * It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. *This also
stops the ice cube maker. *It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. *Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. *I don't recall what was replaced. *If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. *If
I can fix it myself I will keep. *Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

When it happens, put the back off of the INSIDE of the freezer and see
if the coil is iced up. Sounds like it's not defrosting properly.
Look for any damage parts. If none, go to a good appliance store and
they can likely diagnose it -- probably a bad heater or such.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/23/2008 8:45 AM Brent Bolin said the following:
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. This also
stops the ice cube maker. It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. I don't recall what was replaced. If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. If
I can fix it myself I will keep. Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

I don't know the particular fridge, but my Kenmore did the same thing. I
was still under warranty, when I called for service.
The serviceman used a hair dryer on the tubes inside the fridge. The
problem is that once the ice tray is full, or the water dispenser is not
used for a long period of time (we never used the dispenser), the water
stops running and freezes up in the pipes. When you turned the fridge
off, the ice melted and the water flowed. The fridge will require
regular maintenance, which would be to occasionally empty the ice tray,
or run the water dispenser, so that the water doesn't become dormant in
the pipes.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. This also
stops the ice cube maker. It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. I don't recall what was replaced. If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. If
I can fix it myself I will keep. Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

In addition to the other good advice you have, check the defrost drain to be
sure water is not collecting in the refrigerator. You may have a problem
with the defrost timer, heater, or thermostat. These are fairly easy to
troubleshoot and repair.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Young" wrote in message news:QY-

In addition to the other good advice you have, check the defrost drain to
be sure water is not collecting in the refrigerator. You may have a
problem with the defrost timer, heater, or thermostat. These are fairly
easy to troubleshoot and repair.

Don Young

Or the evaporator fan between the compartments

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 1:15*pm, "Old and Grunpy" wrote:
call mechanic and you do not need any advice *he will do the rest
tony-s

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message

Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) * It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. *This also
stops the ice cube maker. *It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. *Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. *I don't recall what was replaced. *If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. *If
I can fix it myself I will keep. *Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

The key here is that the refrigerator performance also decreases when
this happens. That makes it sound like an automatic defrost
problem. If it doesn't defrost and it ices up, it could freeze the
water line and at the same time, because not enough air is moving past
the cold coils, the refrigerator section isn't as cold as it should
be.

To defrost, they just use a simple electric heater element controlled
by a timer that turns it on once every day or two. If you put the
make and model number in one of the online parts shops, you can get
blow up diagrams that show where the parts are located. If you do it
yourself, it's a relatively cheap fix, if that's what it is and you
can isolate it.