Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Gas vs. oil? ? ?

"Ray" wrote in message
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

You can plug in some numbers here
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/

Not knowing what your rates are it is difficult for anyone to say. You can
assume you old oil burner was no more than 80% efficient. The new one may
be better so look up the specifications or the actual numbers from the
installer when he does the burner check.

Other considerations in annual cost are maintenance. Gas burners need
little cleaning compared to the oil that has to be torn down frequently.