Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Gas vs. oil? ? ?

Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:

Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

You won't save as much as you could if you change to a dual fuel burner
so you don't lock yourselves into a nat. gas monopoly and can still buy
oil during off peak times since it stores fine, vs. always buying nat.
gas at the current market rate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 4:30*pm, "Ray" wrote:
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

Nobody can know what you will save, nobody knows what you pay for Ng
or oil, thats your job. Nobody knows future priceing or your
conversion cost. As Pete says go dual fuel and run numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 4:30 pm, "Ray" wrote:
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

Nobody can know what you will save, nobody knows what you pay for Ng
or oil, thats your job. Nobody knows future priceing or your
conversion cost. As Pete says go dual fuel and run numbers.
Keep in mind that the gas company, like many, probably has the bill broken
down into different items, the gas itself, delivery charge and
administration charge. When you change to oil you will not save that much
either because you will still have to pay the administration charge or
minimum bill each month, whether or not you use the gas, so add that portion
to the oil costs to see if switching is worth it. If you sign a long term
contract, you may be under obligation to take X number of units of gas per
month/year.
It is difficult to win, they get you in the end. At least gas will require
less servicing than oil. I hope you guys are buying a high efficiency unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:54:47 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote Re Gas vs. oil? ? ?:

Ray wrote:

Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

You won't save as much as you could if you change to a dual fuel burner
so you don't lock yourselves into a nat. gas monopoly and can still buy
oil during off peak times since it stores fine, vs. always buying nat.
gas at the current market rate.

I second this suggestion. Since you already have the oil storage tanks
in place, a "dually" is the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

You can plug in some numbers here
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/

Not knowing what your rates are it is difficult for anyone to say. You can
assume you old oil burner was no more than 80% efficient. The new one may
be better so look up the specifications or the actual numbers from the
installer when he does the burner check.

Other considerations in annual cost are maintenance. Gas burners need
little cleaning compared to the oil that has to be torn down frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

I appreciate all of the answers, but what I asked for was actual experience
from someone who has made the change.

Can anyone give me that?

By the way, we are not going dual, but we are keeping the oil burner, which
can be reinstalled at relatively low cost if gas prices should surge and oil
fall.

"Ray" wrote in message
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this conversion,
especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of course,
that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
I appreciate all of the answers, but what I asked for was actual experience
from someone who has made the change.

Can anyone give me that?

I operate a heating boiler that was converted, but it was done before we
bought the building. I'd take gas over oil any day. My production boilers
are gas. years ago we had an oil boiler but replaced the entire boiler, not
just the burner.

Do you have specific questions? Gas is just cleaner, cheaper, less trouble
prone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
Like many others, opr six-unit coop building is about to convert our
oil-burning furnace (boiler) from oil to gas.

I would welcome the experience of others who have made this
conversion, especially in recent months.

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much we will save. I know, of
course, that prices fluctuate widely -- and wildly.

First contact whomever decided to switch to gas to see the numbers they
used to justify the conversion.

You need to do some research for your set of conditions such as
determining your historical consumption and the historical costs of
natural gas and fuel oil in *your* area and then plugging in current
costs and trends and the costs of the conversion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to do some research for your set of conditions such as
determining your historical consumption and the historical costs of
natural gas and fuel oil in *your* area and then plugging in

current
costs and trends and the costs of the conversion.

I think this is a good idea. I agree with this. I hope this could

help.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com