Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Mold remediation companies - how legit are they?

Richard Evans wrote in
:

ransley wrote:

There are tons of crooks in that business, mold is everywhere but only
thrives in damp. You have mold from dampness or excessive humidity of
over maybe 75%, you probably have some leaks to close up. Plain
laundry bleach kills mold and can be used in a garden sprayer to get
large areas. You must have some leaks you need to address first

I live in humid North Carolina where we don't have basements, just
crawlspaces. I had a moisture problem caused by humid air entering
throught the vents in the crawlspace and condensing on the cold A/C
ducts. Mold was growing out around the electrical cover plates in the
house. A mold remediation company wanted $20k to fix, including
gutting the upstairs to the studs and replacing the drywall.

I had a crew of day laborers come in, close up the vents, spray the
underside of the house with bleach, and no more mold. Cost a couple of
hundred bucks. I also installed a couple of dehumidifers down there,
but once the initial moisture was gone I never turned them on again.

Mold was growing out around the electrical cover plates in the
house.

That pretty rough!

I'm in NC now and know the humidity.

Just curious. I'm sure the bleach did the mold in but I would still think
the residuals of it would still be there. If you ever were to sell it
that would probably be pointed out by a home inspector as possible past
or existing mold issues.

Do you think it would pass a mold test? That mold test thing they
probably always find "Danger! you're gonna die if you move there." to
generate a $20k fix.