Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default introducing new reader here

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:11:57 -0500, mac davis wrote
(in message ):

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:05:15 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Tom..
As a long-time SS user, I'll advise something that you probably don't want to
hear:
Buy a Jet Mini to play with.. I'm on my 3rd or 4th lathe now, and really
thought
that the SS was a nice lathe until I spent $250 for the mini..

It's so quiet that I used to turn at 5 am and the family never heard it..
Lovely
little (10" bowl max) lathe..quiet, very stable, etc.

I'm a professional turner now and still use the SS a lot, just not for a
lathe... Can't beat in, IMO, for a drill press, especially in the horizontal
setup, with the 12" sanding disk on the other end..
There's no other machine in my shop that I'd drill pen blanks and stuff on,
and
I love the routing capabilities on the beast..
I've been trying to wear out or kill the SS since 1981 and it just keeps
roaring
along..

Mac, thanks for your reply and information about the lathe, but my problem is
that my shop space is so small that I had to decide what machinery I'd put in
it. I had room for one machine only. Hence, the SS. I know it has
limitations. Each of its various incarnations has limitations. Like me, it is
not great at any one thing it does, but it serves my needs reasonably well at
anything I ask of it, within its limitations. *sigh*
Thanks, hey.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.