Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default come-along

tony cooper wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:00:53 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:25:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

I used one last summer. I helped a friend install a chain-link fence
in his yard. We used a come-along - horizontally - to pull the fence
tight at each post. Chain-link doesn't pull easily.

I think the last time I used one of my collection of different types of
come alongs was a couple of years ago when the ledger board on our
home's deck became rotten to the core because the sods who built the
place about 18 years earler didn't bother spending a few extra bucks for
a piece of pressure treated lumber.

We put temporary props under the deck, disconnected the joists from the
ledger board and swapped in a new PT ledger board.

I used a come along to pull on the deck so the joists were held firmly
back in contact with the ledger while we fastened a new set of hanger
brackets in place.

A padded piece of 2x6 across the inside of a fortuitously located open
window provided a handy place to pull against.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/deck004.jpg

Scurrilous coments about using a car bumper jack to adjust the level of
the center part of the deck will be ignored. "Pretty is as pretty does."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)