Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Help diagnosing problems with refrigerator

On Oct 23, 8:45*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (596.50392001) * It's approximately 10
years old.

When the problem starts the water dispenser stops working. *This also
stops the ice cube maker. *It doesn't stop refrigerating but is
noticeably less.I had the same problem about 5 years ago. *Cost me
about $400.00 to get fixed. *I don't recall what was replaced. *If the
refrigerator is turned off for a period of time it will fix itself.
Appears to be a freezing issue.

This refrigerator is not worth spending that kind of money again. *If
I can fix it myself I will keep. *Otherwise sounds like refrigerators
have become disposable items.

Any input would be appreciated.

When it happens, put the back off of the INSIDE of the freezer and see
if the coil is iced up. Sounds like it's not defrosting properly.
Look for any damage parts. If none, go to a good appliance store and
they can likely diagnose it -- probably a bad heater or such.

Good luck.