Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
Pat Durkin Pat Durkin is offline

Default come-along

"tony cooper" wrote in message

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:00:53 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:25:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

I used one last summer. I helped a friend install a chain-link fence
in his yard. We used a come-along - horizontally - to pull the fence
tight at each post. Chain-link doesn't pull easily.

http://www.nextag.com/wire-stretcher/search-html

Can't find the simple stretcher we used for barbed wire yet (had some
cousins, Bob and Barb Weier), but the images on the above site show
block and tackle, and really describe the come-along, too.

http://www.afence.com/BekaertBrochure.html The tightening tool
mentioned low down on this page gives "come-along" as an alternative
name.