Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperatue setting during long winter vacation

On Oct 21, 9:45�pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We
have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities
are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

A $75,000,000 U.S. government study on this topic, conducted in 2003,
found that the optimal temp was between 50 and 52 degrees F.

You will also want to check with your insurance agent/broker. �Many home
insurance policies (most/all I have seen) contain a requirement that the
home be checked regularly during the heating season by a competent person..
If you fail in this, any loss will not likely be covered.- Hide quoted text -

insurance for vacant home will triple in cost, vacant homes get
vandalized a lot, arson is common.

let home freeze you must be insane, plaster walls crack and spall,
plaster falls off, homes arent supposed to freeze, the cosmetic issues
will kill your bank account when you return home.

leave home at 50 degrees, with monitored security system.watching for
break ins, furnacve failure etc etc. winterize anyway drain and blow
down all water lines, antifreeze in sewer traps, must get all traped
water out of appliances like dishwashers, and washing machines.

but know in advance some appliances sitting will fail, and repairs
will likely cost more than replacing them.

arrange outside maintence grass cutting yard trash pick up, have a
trusted friend visit home weekly for safety check.

being gone at least a year? your far better off renting your home
moving stuff to storage..

better fiancially and home isnt vacant.

you can hire a property mananer to care for home while your away for
about 10% of the gross rent, call some local realtors..