Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default I want to move my water heater outside. Considerations?

On Oct 20, 12:55*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
My water heater is an old electric under the counter type. We recently had
it repaired but it will probably need to be replaced sooner or later. I
want to build a small lean-to building, probably 2x4 or 4x4 feet square to
house the new water heater and also use as a small tool shed.

-Plan on pouring a 3.5" concrete slab, a little thicker around the edges.
-stick frame construction with masonite sheathing.
-some type of insulation (undecided)

I am in the mid-atlantic region so weather is mild year round. Hurricanes
would be the biggest worry but the building would be sheltered from the
worst of the wind by the house (but don't worry I'll make sure to attach
the building to the foundation!). The only real worry would be heavy rain,
mild flooding (couple of inches) and possibly a heavy tree limb falling on
it. The building would backed up against a brick house.

I'm building the shed, running the electric and a plumber will be hooking
up the water heater. (I'm a terrible plumber)

What do I need to worry about? The slab settling and breaking the pipes
loose? Insulating the pipes between the shed and the crawlspace? (Our
waterlines run through the crawlspace) How much space do I need around the
water heater?

Are you thinking tankless, then there is no comparison to a gallon jug
and a tankless coil made to trasfer heat, either get one with freeze
protection or forget it and hope the circuit works, I say to risky
unless a light bulb or heater kicks on at 32