Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Mold remediation companies - how legit are they?

Rick-Meister wrote:
Sorry guys, using bleach on porous surfaces is the worst thing you can
do. It kills a small percentage of the surface mold, but then the
water soaks into the porous surfaces and actually feeds future mold
growth.

Do a search on the EPA site for mold remediation and read their
recommendations.

Is varnished (or whatever it is) knotty pine considered porous? The one
area of visible mold I saw (prior to the inspection and didn't even give
it a second thought) wiped right off the shiny surface. This is what's
confusing, two "mold remediation" companies are giving me completely
conflicting recommendations. EPA guidelines seem just to address
commercial buildings and schools. They say remove water damaged wood,
although there really isn't that much water damaged knotty pine, except
the quarter round molding which the 2nd company proposed removing prior
to sanding. (And a section of paneling behind a shower stall where it
leaks when the caulk needs to be replaced).

BTW, according to my real estate agent, I can't "forget" about it since
we have the test results. I'm willing to remediate it, but don't want to
put more money into that than necessary. The hope is that with a
certificate of remediation and a second set of clean tests, no one will
ask for more. I do think part of the problem is a result of removing the
old carpeting (you know the old foam backed imitation wall to wall stuff
when I was getting ready to sell. I suspect if there was mold, it
settled in there after the sump pump episode and got scattered when that
was removed. Then the RE agents recommended I put the humidifier away
(ok it's ugly, but now I wish I'd left it out) and that may have grown
some more. I tend to agree with the 2nd company that the amount isn't as
bad as the test says, and hinted that the inspector could have an
"agreement" with the remediation company. Second guy said if there
really were "a half million spores per cubic meter" it would be so thick
we couldn't see through it, which is why he thinks the tests were done
incorrectly.

Guess I'll wait 'til the 3rd company reports in. (I actually feel better
about her because her company was recommended by the insurance company).

Thanks for the responses. I just want to get this thing sold and stop
paying two mortgages!!