Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:35:36 -0400, mm wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:29:40 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:11:45 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I worked as a construction engineer and that's the only thing
I've ever heard it called. I'm sure there are brand names,
though, but still, construction workers are an earthy lot.

On the other hand I see at
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/come-a-long.htm that they are
referenced as "come-a-longs" but are called "power pulls", a
misnomer it would seem to me, since they are hadn operated.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html calls them
"come along winches".

I have seen devices known as chain hoists, but because of their chain having
to engage in mated channels, they were usually used in a vertical
application only. But we did use them in a horizontal application in the
oilfield in a pinch because they were stonger than come alongs. You just
had to have someone watch the chain feeding into the device, and to watch
their fingers, too.

Steve

Two of the three come-alongs that Jeff points out are sold at Harbor
Freight, have in their ads, "For dead loads only; not for lifting." I
don't quite know why but that makes them the opposite of the chain
hoist you describe.

I believe what SteveB is talking about are some times called "come alongs"
but are higher rated and use chain. I have owned these two for over forty
years. They have been used and abused but use a brake mechicism to lock
the ratchet and can be lifted or lowered in fine incriments as used to
align bolt holes on heavy objects. Save loosing a finger. I don't care
what you want to call them. They work vertical or horizontal but as stated
"care" must be used horizontally.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=s7001393.jpg