Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear
wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.

Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive
shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the
grease; it won't last nearly as long.

A little hint about silicon/silicone. I wish to hell people
would learn the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

TDD