Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door

On Oct 20, 12:39*pm, Fleemo wrote:
Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. *

If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Check the photocell safety circuit for alignment, dirty lenses, etc.
When our house was new, we had a problem in the summer with late
afternoon sun blinding the receiver. Had to have somebody stand and
shadow the receiver in order to close the door. Problem went away when
the olive tree in the front yard grew enough to block the late
afternoon summer sun.

Jerry