Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is
against the guy rules though....

You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't
needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone?
Have you ever tried to get rid of a Silicone residual when trying
to paint?