Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Make the doorway higher.

on 10/19/2008 5:46 PM Aaron Fude said the following:
Hi,

I would like to make this doorway higher to match the rest of the
doors in my house.

http://freeboundaries.com/raisethedoor.jpg

This is weight bearing wall so my plan is to build two temp walls on
either side of the door, lining up with the joists. Then take out the
header, the "ladder" piece (if I'm not mistaken), the two 2x4's that
the header is resting on, and then rebuild. Does that sound like the
correct plan?

Thanks!

Aaron

Piece of cake.
Here, I did it for you. I didn't use any bracing at all. I used a couple
of PT wood for the header. :-)
http://www.willshak.com/temp/

--

Bill