Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Attractive glue for wood-to-glass? Where an I get RTV

In message , mac davis
writes
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0700, Ray wrote:
snip
Years ago I bought a tube of RTV at Lowe's. I can't seem to find it
in any stores now, all I can find is silicone cement from GE which
does not have much gluing strength. Where can I get RTV?

Last time I needed some, A local auto supply store had a pretty good
assortment... Clear, red, blue..

mac

RTV - Room Temperature Vulcanising

Most hardware stores supply big tubes of Constructions type Silicone
Sealers, they are all fairly similar, but make sure it says Silicon,
though there are Those that slump and those that don't Clear Bathroom
sealer will normally handle temperatures into the hundreds of degrees,
and works as an engine gasket.

Dow Corning was a good reference point for what is out there in the past

One thing to consider when gluing anything to glass is that you may need
an etching solution to provide a good key to the glass

Unless there is a good reason not to, a colour loaded epoxy may serve
just as well if the thickness is not too great

--
John