Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering copper pipe

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:24:42 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:

One method of determining how much solder to use is to crimp the
solder wire every centimetre or so, which acts as a visual guide to
how much solder's gone into the joint - if your joint flooded with
3cms then next time you'll know to be cautious once 2cms have gone in.

Shouldn't need much more than 1cm of solder for a single end on 15mm tube.

Remember to heat the pipe as well as the fitting, the heat will travel up
the pipe into the fitting better than it does across the small air gap
between the pipe and fitting.

Not paid any attention to the noise the flux makes, I go by how long the
blow lamp has been played across fitting/pipe then when I think it should
be hot enough start to dab the solder onto the joint between fitting and
pipe at the top. Onec it's hot enough it'll just melt and be drawn in and
as I say above only about a cm is required.

--
Cheers
Dave.