Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Make the doorway higher.

On Oct 19, 7:44*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:46*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I would like to make this doorway higher to match the rest of the
doors in my house.

http://freeboundaries.com/raisethedoor.jpg

This is weight bearing wall so my plan is to build two temp walls on
either side of the door, lining up with the joists. Then take out the
header, the "ladder" piece (if I'm not mistaken), the two 2x4's that
the header is resting on, and then rebuild. Does that sound like the
correct plan?

That wall ain't going nowhere, and the header isn't supporting squat.
*-----

- gpsman

??? From the picture, that is a load bearing wall and there are two
joists supported by the door header which is undersized for its
function.

Harry K