Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Make the doorway higher.

ransley wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:44 pm, gpsman wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:46 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,
I would like to make this doorway higher to match the rest of the
doors in my house.
http://freeboundaries.com/raisethedoor.jpg
This is weight bearing wall so my plan is to build two temp walls on
either side of the door, lining up with the joists. Then take out the
header, the "ladder" piece (if I'm not mistaken), the two 2x4's that
the header is resting on, and then rebuild. Does that sound like the
correct plan?

That wall ain't going nowhere, and the header isn't supporting squat.
-----

- gpsman

Squat is what it supports, a bit of lath and plaster.

Agreed, hardest part of the job will be cutting the lath and plaster
above the door, without trashing the entire far-side wall surface. That
keying loves to bust off the back of the plaster surface layer.
Fine-tooth blade and a jigsaw, not a sawzall, is what I always had the
best luck with. Don't rattle the wall.

--
aem sends...