Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Make the doorway higher.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
On Oct 19, 7:59 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:25:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

wrote:
82.5" is the proper rough opening height.

For what door?

Ransley and Joe: I'm assuming that the header is load bearing, is it
not?
Nate: what do you mean by "overbuilding"
Also, about the recommendation of holding up the joints with 4x4. Does
putting 2 2x4's together sufficient?

Many thanks for all the responses.

Aaron

The 2x4 header over the door should be at least 2x6 on edge with a spacer.
I agree that building all that temp support is over-kill for the short time
you will have the jack studs and header out. The double header on the wall
is more than enough to support things while you work, but if you are really
worried, a couple 2x4 to support the two joists over the door will more than
suffice.

If you are planning to make the door wider, It looks like you would only be
able to go to the left side, so put in your new stud on that side before
taking out the old one.

It looks like you pretty old construction here, full 2x4 studs. Try and
save and reuse what you can of this old wood so you don't need to shim new
wood to size.

Mark