Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Make the doorway higher.

On Oct 19, 4:46*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I would like to make this doorway higher to match the rest of the
doors in my house.

http://freeboundaries.com/raisethedoor.jpg

This is weight bearing wall so my plan is to build two temp walls on
either side of the door, lining up with the joists. Then take out the
header, the "ladder" piece (if I'm not mistaken), the two 2x4's that
the header is resting on, and then rebuild. Does that sound like the
correct plan?

Too much work. The king studs carry the load, so simply remove the 2 x
4's and jack studs, install new jack studs with 2 x 6, 2 x 8 or even 2
x 12 headers on edge with 1/2" plywood spacer in between. Look at
some new house construction in your area to see what current best
practices are where you live. IIRC, 80 1/4" is the common distance
from subfloor to header. If you have a framing nailer it will go
together quickly. An impact driver and construction screws are even
cheaper overall cost and won't crack plaster like hammering used to.
Have fun.

Joe