Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default So long newsgroups...

Davej wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:27 am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without
price.

I end up using Google despite it's horrible user interface. Their
cross-group searching is very handy. My ISP is AT&T and their
newsgroups seem to be an ragged afterthought and are very incomplete
and unreliable.

Yeah, I'm noticing a downward curve since the latest merger myself. I
dumped one of the baby bells, the former ameritech, because their news
service went to hell, and went to ATT, which was much better at the
time. But then ATT got eaten by another baby bell, SBC (which had
already eaten ameritech), which promptly rebranded themselves with
Mama's name. And now I am seeing followups before I see the intitial
post, and sometimes not seeing the intitial posts at all. Deja Vu all
over again. I'm a cheap SOB, so I'll probably wait till they drop it
entirely before I subscribe to a pay usenet service. At that point, I
may just drop ATT entirely, since I get my DSL from a 3rd-party provider
anyway, and only kept ATT for news and to keep same e-mail address. My
DSL company provides an email address that I never check, but have a
forward set to my ATT account. My relatives may just have to climb the
learning curve, to save me the 8 bucks a month.

Now all we need is for ATT to go after the last remaining baby bell out
west, and we will be back where we started.

--
aem sends...