Posted to alt.home.repair

Default So long newsgroups...

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

If you are still around there are a number of free or inexpensive
Usenet providers that you could still get to. Especially if you don't do
a lot of binaries. I have no personal background with any of these, so
buyer beware, but a quick Google picked up:
www.freeusenet.org
www.newzbot.com
www.newsgroupreviews.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

I dumped Ccomcast about a year ago. The
new at&t made an offer for TV,
through Dish, for free for a year ....
no contract. I did up my Dish service a
bit .... I guess that's what they want,
but it only cost me about $17/month for
what I have, for the year. BTW, I
already dropped Ccomcast previously for
data as DSL was better and much cheaper.
I must confess that the big C has
greatly improved their data service in
my area, but it was not good when I made
the switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without
price. They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup
service is going bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I
guess I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

Consult with your local 12-year old male.

Comcast may provide internet connectivity, but they don't have to be your
ISP. I use Comcast for internet connectivity but Earthlink is my ISP.
Earthlink, moreover, contracts out its newsgroup facilities to Giganews.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without
price. They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup
service is going bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I
guess I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

Consult with your local 12-year old male.

Comcast may provide internet connectivity, but they don't have to be your
ISP. I use Comcast for internet connectivity but Earthlink is my ISP.
Earthlink, moreover, contracts out its newsgroup facilities to Giganews.

Earthlink is my ISP. Their high-speed access is provided via Time
Warner cable modem. Their newsgroups were not available when I was on
the road, so I subscribe to News.Individual.NET for about $16 per
year. They are based in Germany, so are free from the Bowdlerizing
nonsense that goes on other places. Also, the one time I had occasion
to write them about a problem with a restriction they had placed on
one of my favorite groups, I got a prompt reply from a real person. We
exchanged polite emails and they lifted the restriction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 9:27*am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. *So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. *The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. *I guess
I am greedy too. *Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

I'm ****ed too and let them know. OTOH, as you can see from this
post, I'm not on my Comcast account and going through google. You can
do it too and there is no charge. You'll just miss the binary groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 9:27*am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. *So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. *The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. *I guess
I am greedy too. *Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

I suppose I can use google. I use it to search from time to time.
But the interface does not compare to pan. Ill have to check out
other places. Damn shame really.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:34*am, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:27:18 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Go to AIOE.org as one example. You don't even have to sign up or
register. Just use it.

* And if one wants to waste large amounts of time and needs to satisfy
one's masochistic urges, there is always Google Groups.

Many users filter out all posts that originate from google groups...
and for good reason. The bulk of them are spam and trolls. If you want
to be a full fledged participant in an active newsgroup, don'r use
Google. You will have a much smaller audience.

I always get a kick out of post such as this. I've been mucking about
on Usenet since ~1994. I've used several different means of getting
to them, different providers, readers, etc., and I really don't have
any major issues with Google Groups for access. I fully understand
the loathing for spam and trolls, and Google does a pretty reasonable
job of filtering out the spam without any of my help (there are some
groups that are worse than others, and there was that notable
onslaught of spam from half a year back). The trolls are part of
Usenet and sometimes it's tough to tell the white hats from the black
hats. I killfile very rarely as a little kid screaming doesn't bother
me unless I can't close the door. Usenet is a closed door - you have
to open it to be enlightened or annoyed.

As far as the smaller audience...who cares? Whether ten or a hundred
read the post, I'm usually just responding to one person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Josh wrote in message ...
In article , CL

\"dnoyeB\" Gilbert
says...

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without

price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is

going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could.

I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

Newsguy.com is offering a special for Comcast newsgroup refugees

(it's not
showing on their site yet, but email them and they'll take care of

you, let them
know I sent you). I've been using Newsguy for years. Great group of

people
running it.

They sent me this email this morning, and since I provided the links I
think they should tell them "I"sent them. ;-) Seriously, I love
NewsGuy. Great customer service, especially Cindy and Bob.

Cheri

"Hi,

According to recent announcements, RCN has discontinued access to
their newsgroup service.

For RCN customers (rcn.com, erols.com, starpower.net) that still
require Usenet service, we're offering a free month of newsgroup
access with the purchase of any Basic, Extra, Express, or Unlimited
NewsGuy account...

http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm

Sincerely,
NewsGuy.Com"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
[...]

ATT is slow but cheap. I prefer Dish over anything that is out there for the
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeb" G. wrote:
On Sep 17, 9:27 am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

I suppose I can use google. I use it to search from time to time.
But the interface does not compare to pan. Ill have to check out
other places. Damn shame really.

I second Salty Dog's reply. Have used AIOE.ORG ever sinvce Time
Warner.Roadrunner killed their newsgroups. Has always worked great, it
is free and the only disadvantage??? is that they don't carry any binary
groups
Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

I'll go along with the several others which suggested aioe.org . This is
a fantastic server for free. Except donate if you can. I had aioe as a
backup server, when I had TW Roadrunner newsgroups. TW decided to dump
newsgroups.

Also, at the aioe help desk, the person which offers the service, will
answer questions.

The only thing I found, one of my subscriptions, is a read only group. I
wrote, and aioe answered they don't allow posting, because the group
contains a lot of spam.

One other drawback, but it's not a drawback in my case. You can "only"
post 25 times per day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2008 6:39 AM Kurt Ullman spake thus:

In article ,
"CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

If you are still around there are a number of free or inexpensive
Usenet providers that you could still get to. Especially if you don't do
a lot of binaries. I have no personal background with any of these, so
buyer beware, but a quick Google picked up:
www.freeusenet.org
www.newzbot.com
www.newsgroupreviews.com

But how many of those allow you to post through them? My experience
(some time ago, I admit) was that all the free providers were basically
"read-only", and that you had to pay $$ in order to post.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2008 9:10 AM RicodJour spake thus:

On Sep 17, 10:34 am, wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:27:18 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Actually, my beef with googlegroups (and that of many others) has little
to do with "trolls", which as you say seem to abound on Usenet in
general, but more with the ****-poor implementation of news access that
Google cobbled up in its web-based approach.

Just to give one example, their software allows users to edit their
posts after they've been made. Now, this works fine on their interface:
they just update their database, and presto change-o, the post is
updated. But "real" Usenet users see two messages: the original one plus
the edited one.

Not to mention the tons of spam generated through googlegroups. I'm
surprised at your assertion that they do "a pretty reasonable job of
filtering out the spam", but I guess I'll have to take your word for that.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:

[...]

There are many that allow posting. AIOE.org, which doesn't even
require any sort of login or sign up, does limit you to 25 posts in 24
hours from your IP address, but if you need more than that to state
your case, you probably should shut up and listen more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try Motzarella, free to read or post, just sign up for an account and it
works fine.
http://www.motzarella.org/

--
Mike S.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But how many of those allow you to post through them? My experience (some
time ago, I admit) was that all the free providers were basically
"read-only", and that you had to pay $$ in order to post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rmorton wrote in message ...

I second Salty Dog's reply. Have used AIOE.ORG ever sinvce Time
Warner.Roadrunner killed their newsgroups. Has always worked great,

it
is free and the only disadvantage??? is that they don't carry any

binary
groups

I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I uninstalled it and installed
it twice, downloaded the newsgroups and it kept coming up 502 error.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 12:31*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 17 , RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:34*am, wrote:

[...]

Conetnt from google posters is overall not very high in quality. I
guess if you are looking for quantity vs. QWuality, then google is
great. BTW - My usenet experience predates yours. BFD.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to get into a ****ing match with you - I
know you're full of ****! ~

My point was that I'm not a newb, I've tried a bunch of means to
access Usenet, and Google isn't as horrendous as people make it out to
be. Google groups does a pretty good job of deleting the spam before
I see it. I guess it's that they do a pretty lousy job of policing
the spamposters that are using Google Groups, and that's what ****es
people off.

If the OP, CLG, needs free access, well, GG is one way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Cheri wrote:
I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I uninstalled it and installed
it twice, downloaded the newsgroups and it kept coming up 502 error.

What is "it" to install?

news.aioe.org is simply a free newsserver.

Use the news client of your choice--there's nothing to install, simply
connect with your client.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in message ...
On Sep 17, 12:31 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 17 , RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:34 am, wrote:

Conetnt from google posters is overall not very high in quality. I
guess if you are looking for quantity vs. QWuality, then google is
great. BTW - My usenet experience predates yours. BFD.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to get into a ****ing match with you - I
know you're full of ****! ~

My point was that I'm not a newb, I've tried a bunch of means to
access Usenet, and Google isn't as horrendous as people make it out to
be. Google groups does a pretty good job of deleting the spam before
I see it. I guess it's that they do a pretty lousy job of policing
the spamposters that are using Google Groups, and that's what ****es
people off.

If the OP, CLG, needs free access, well, GG is one way to go.

**************

I used it for a few days while NewsGuy was making upgrades, and I
thought it was OK, though I don't really care much for the read
format, it's hard to keep track of for me, but I'm old.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:27:35 -0400, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert"
wrote:

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

Some have already renamed it "Communist Cast."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm using Comcast newsgroups and haven't been notified that they will no
longer be providing newgroup service. When and how were you notified of
this change?

Don in Tracy, Calif.

"CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert" wrote in message
. ..
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I
guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:

Try Motzarella, free to read or post, just sign up for an account and it
works fine.
http://www.motzarella.org/

Works for me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article on Wed, 17 Sep
2008 22:14:54 -0700, RVer Don wrote:

I'm using Comcast newsgroups and haven't been notified that they will no
longer be providing newgroup service. When and how were you notified of
this change?

It's posted on the Comcast web site:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that Comcast is taking away what was one of their features are they
going to reduce the price of their sevice?
I know. I've got to be kidding.

Charlie

"RVer Don" wrote in message
. ..
I'm using Comcast newsgroups and haven't been notified that they will no
longer be providing newgroup service. When and how were you notified of
this change?

Don in Tracy, Calif.

"CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert" wrote in message
. ..
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my newsgroup service is
going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I could. I
guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

Now that Comcast is taking away what was one of their features are they
going to reduce the price of their sevice?
I know. I've got to be kidding.

Charlie

Thanks. That was a good one. I haven't laughed so hard since my
mother-in-law's lawn chair collapsed.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

RVer Don wrote in message ...
I'm using Comcast newsgroups and haven't been notified that they will

no
longer be providing newgroup service. When and how were you notified

of
this change?

Don in Tracy, Calif.

I'm in Lodi, and recently the rep told me that they wouldn't be
carrying newsgroups much longer. Dunno if it's really true or not,
because he also told me a lot of wrong info about broadband, giving me
ridiculously low price quotes for 2 computers, and then I find out
that it doesn't really support Win98 at all, so I'm just relaying what
he said about newsgroup access.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote in message ...

Now that Comcast is taking away what was one of their features are

they
going to reduce the price of their sevice?
I know. I've got to be kidding.

Charlie

Sure they are. Just like they came through and took several channels
away from the expanded basic cable, and put nothing back. They raised
the prices. Thieves.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Josh wrote in message ...
In article , Cheri says...

They sent me this email this morning, and since I provided the links

think they should tell them "I"sent them. ;-) Seriously, I love
NewsGuy. Great customer service, especially Cindy and Bob.

Cheri

Actually, I'm the one that told Cin and Bob that RCN and Comcast were

ditching
newsgroups. They started the promo based on my tip. So there ;-)

OK, Josh...you definitely win then. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

For those who want something almost free without the disadvantages of a
free service, and aren't planning to download gigabytes of pictures and
movies every week, a lot of usenet providers sell blocks of gigabytes such
that you can pay for one block and use it till you use it up. If you only
do text, such as this message, it will probably take years to use a few
dollars worth. The minimum charge for a block of gigabytes that never
expires till you use it up ranges from $2 to $6 on the usenet provider
websites I've looked at.

Usenet-news, which I'm using right now, is one example.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:24:19 GMT, Anagram
wrote:

For those who want something almost free without the disadvantages of a
free service, and aren't planning to download gigabytes of pictures and
movies every week, a lot of usenet providers sell blocks of gigabytes such
that you can pay for one block and use it till you use it up. If you only
do text, such as this message, it will probably take years to use a few
dollars worth. The minimum charge for a block of gigabytes that never
expires till you use it up ranges from $2 to $6 on the usenet provider
websites I've looked at.

Usenet-news, which I'm using right now, is one example.

Why have another bill? Usenet is part of the Internet. Cutting out
Usenet is removing part of the service your ISP has agreed to provide
for your monthly billing. I can understand removing binaries but
certainly not text-based groups. With Comcast you can still get free
newsgroups but you will need to setup another nntp with your
newsreader or just use a free http-based newsgroup website such as

nntp.aioe.org

or

http://news.motzarella.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in
:

Why have another bill? Usenet is part of the Internet. Cutting out
Usenet is removing part of the service your ISP has agreed to provide

$2 once every few years is not exactly "another bill". For practical
purposes, it might as well be free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 8:27 am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without
price.

I end up using Google despite it's horrible user interface. Their
cross-group searching is very handy. My ISP is AT&T and their
newsgroups seem to be an ragged afterthought and are very incomplete
and unreliable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:

[...]

IIRC, aioe.org allows posting. No binary groups, though,

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

vincent_bay510 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ps-331690-.htm
:

-------------------------------------

wrote:

[...]

I'm obviously a little late to the thread (just registered here), but I
would recommend Newsguy.com for anyone that is looking for a reliable
newsgroup provider.

They have accounts as low as $3/month that allow 10GB of monthly
downloads, unlimited posting, NNTP newsreader & Web access, newsgroup
search engine, and 5 email boxes if you don't want to post with your ISP
or company email address.

They're rated highly at most of the review sites (http://newsadmin.com,
etc.) and they have a free trial so you can check them out before buying
an account. I've been happy with them, and they may be worth a look.

Vince

Posted to alt.home.repair

no
longer be providing newgroup service.

Hmmm. So many, it appears to be a concerted effort, perhaps. Hmmm.

A "thought experiment":

Suppose this were China where this was happening, removing
the ability for people to use newsgroups. Why might
China be shutting down newsgroup access?

Well, maybe pursuing that would be a COMPLETE waste of time,
since obviously the answer to that question would
be useless as explanation here. :-(

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

no longer be providing newgroup service.

Hmmm. So many, it appears to be a concerted effort, perhaps.
Hmmm.
A "thought experiment":
Suppose this were China where this was happening, removing
the ability for people to use newsgroups. Why might
China be shutting down newsgroup access?

Newsgroups are not being shut down. Many internet service providers
have stopped offering it for free, but there are places on the internet
where you can sign up for free, or you could pay a bit. I signed up
with giganews, and paid for more than I needed to for basic service.
Shop around.

Well, maybe pursuing that would be a COMPLETE waste of time,
since obviously the answer to that question would
be useless as explanation here. :-( David

China is very anal, but the internet is not. Plug "usenet" into Google.
It's still with us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:27 am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services without
price.

I end up using Google despite it's horrible user interface. Their
cross-group searching is very handy. My ISP is AT&T and their
newsgroups seem to be an ragged afterthought and are very incomplete
and unreliable.

Yeah, I'm noticing a downward curve since the latest merger myself. I
dumped one of the baby bells, the former ameritech, because their news
service went to hell, and went to ATT, which was much better at the
time. But then ATT got eaten by another baby bell, SBC (which had
already eaten ameritech), which promptly rebranded themselves with
Mama's name. And now I am seeing followups before I see the intitial
post, and sometimes not seeing the intitial posts at all. Deja Vu all
over again. I'm a cheap SOB, so I'll probably wait till they drop it
entirely before I subscribe to a pay usenet service. At that point, I
may just drop ATT entirely, since I get my DSL from a 3rd-party provider
anyway, and only kept ATT for news and to keep same e-mail address. My
DSL company provides an email address that I never check, but have a
forward set to my ATT account. My relatives may just have to climb the
learning curve, to save me the 8 bucks a month.

Now all we need is for ATT to go after the last remaining baby bell out
west, and we will be back where we started.

--
aem sends...