Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default New Metal Beam Safe?

Rod wrote:

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
Bruce writ:

Well done! Not an easy situation to resolve, but you've done it.

But i've lost the trust of the builders,
so probably must find others to do the next beam -

I said to the brickie:
'when you told me it was finished
were you lying
or were you incompetent and unable to see that it was unsafe?'

(Occam's razor?)

he blames the boss, the boss blames him...

but the job theyre doing now should last a hundred years,
i'll post photos when its all done...

What did you actually ask the builders to do?

It seems to me that if you just asked for the work, then it was probably
down to you to decide on specification, notification, etc. But if it was
more of a 'tell me what is required and do it' then it looks to be more
their problem.

The builder has a duty of care. There's no escaping it.