Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Ohl Donna Ohl is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:49:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
If all you need is how to replace the element, read Smitty two-bolts
and you'll be done in fifteen minutes.

The WB44T10009 GE broiler element finally arrived (see pic) so we can
continue the oven repair help tutorial.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2950288617/

Warning to others (that I wish someone would have advised me)!

The hole for the temperature sensor screw in the new GE oven broiler heater
element is way TOO SMALL!

You have to widen the mounting hole in the new oven broiler heating element
for the temperature sensor in order for the screw to take hold.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2950288625/

The temperature sensor screw itself won't go in no matter how hard you try.
So I had to start with a smaller screw and then take progressively larger
screws to stretch the hole in the new broiler heating element mounting
plate in order to finally fit the original screw in. It has to be just
right though, so be careful as it will not mount if you make the mounting
hole too wide!