Posted to alt.home.repair
Slightly Graying Wolf Slightly Graying Wolf is offline

Default Problem with garbage disposer

TigerLuck wrote:
Sasha wrote:
My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?

Look on the bottom of the disposal. You should see an allen socket, I
believe 6mm is the common size. New disposals come with one.

Make absolutely sure that the power is off by unplugging the disposal,
insert the appropriate allen wrench into the socket and turn the motor
until it feels like it is turning freely.

Plug the unit back in and turn on the power.

Sometimes something gets stuck in between the rotor and the housing of
the unit when it is powered down and the motor does not have enough
force to begin spinning from a dead stop.

I had to do this less than 6 months after installing an InSinkErator. I
had doubts about the quality of the disposal at that point (the others I
had owned in different homes had never stopped working like that before...)

It has worked flawlessly since (almost 2 and 1/2 years).