Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with garbage disposer

My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 3:04*pm, Sasha wrote:
My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?

Many disposers have a built-in circuit breaker - a small button on the
bottom of the unit.

This breaker can pop if the unit gets jammed. Look for the button and
give it a press. Feel for a click as it resets. If it does, turn on
the disposer. If it pops again, it could be jammed.

Turn off the disposer. Grab the allen wrench that should have come
with the unit and insert it in the hole in the bottom of the unit. Try
to turn the motor in the opposite direction of normal spin to free it
up. You might have to turn it in both directions to free it up. I once
got glass jammed in my unit and had to use the wrench to "jar" the
motor back and forth until little by little until it broke up the
glass and became free.

Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:20:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 17, 3:04*pm, Sasha wrote:
My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?

Many disposers have a built-in circuit breaker - a small button on the
bottom of the unit.

This breaker can pop if the unit gets jammed. Look for the button and
give it a press. Feel for a click as it resets. If it does, turn on
the disposer. If it pops again, it could be jammed.

If the disposer is leaking water towards the bottom, the breaker can
be shorted out. Replace the unit.

Turn off the disposer. Grab the allen wrench that should have come
with the unit and insert it in the hole in the bottom of the unit. Try
to turn the motor in the opposite direction of normal spin to free it
up. You might have to turn it in both directions to free it up. I once
got glass jammed in my unit and had to use the wrench to "jar" the
motor back and forth until little by little until it broke up the
glass and became free.

Good luck!

Without the tool, use a broom handle. Insert from the top and try to
release the jam. A jaw (slicer/dicer) might be stuck. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sasha wrote:
My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?

Look on the bottom of the disposal. You should see an allen socket, I
believe 6mm is the common size. New disposals come with one.

Make absolutely sure that the power is off by unplugging the disposal,
insert the appropriate allen wrench into the socket and turn the motor
until it feels like it is turning freely.

Plug the unit back in and turn on the power.

Sometimes something gets stuck in between the rotor and the housing of
the unit when it is powered down and the motor does not have enough
force to begin spinning from a dead stop.

--
McCain calls for greater deregulation - March 25, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gofe1QDlAD8

I personally know William "Bill" Ayers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkyixdTnM4

Sinatra & Sarah do Witchcraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqs_2CVcWb0

Meet Pastor Muthee -- the man who laid hands on Sarah Palin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsnrIVj9IbM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 4:07*pm, TigerLuck wrote:
Sasha wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, every motortized appliance or tool that I own,
including my garbage disposer, begins spinning from a dead stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

As far as I know, every motortized appliance or tool that I own,
including my garbage disposer, begins spinning from a dead stop.

Wiseguy :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

TigerLuck wrote:
Sasha wrote:
My 2 year old InSinkErator garbage disposer stopped working. No
spinning, grinding, no sound at all. I checked the voltage in the
outlet it is connected to and it is OK. What can be a problem and what
I should be looking at?

Look on the bottom of the disposal. You should see an allen socket, I
believe 6mm is the common size. New disposals come with one.

Make absolutely sure that the power is off by unplugging the disposal,
insert the appropriate allen wrench into the socket and turn the motor
until it feels like it is turning freely.

Plug the unit back in and turn on the power.

Sometimes something gets stuck in between the rotor and the housing of
the unit when it is powered down and the motor does not have enough
force to begin spinning from a dead stop.

I had to do this less than 6 months after installing an InSinkErator. I
had doubts about the quality of the disposal at that point (the others I
had owned in different homes had never stopped working like that before...)

It has worked flawlessly since (almost 2 and 1/2 years).
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:00:33 -0700, Oren wrote:

Without the tool, use a broom handle. Insert from the top and try to
release the jam. A jaw (slicer/dicer) might be stuck. YMMV.

A soft drink tab jammed our disposer this summer. Fortunately the
family with the children staying with us moved out into their own
apartment.