Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default knob and tube

Zippy the Wonder Turtle wrote:

How dangerous is it to have old knob and tube wiring in your home?

Ask yourself this: if you were building a new home that because of some
legal quirk was not subject to today's building codes, would you install
knob and tube wiring? If the answer is no, then why would you consider
keeping it in your existing home? We replaced ours years ago and were
thrilled to see it gone. No more worries about plugging in too many things
at once or adding outlets where we needed them, what a relief. Plus we got
a break on our insurance premiums as well. Rewiring a house isn't cheap,
but the peace of mind (not to mention the convenience of things like lights
in closets or motion sensor lights outside) made it a good investment.