Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default knob and tube

On Oct 17, 4:03*pm, Zippy the Wonder Turtle
wrote:
How dangerous is it to have old knob and tube wiring in your home?

Kenanwww.trustasc.com

It apparently has served for a long time without failing.

Actually it is a very good system, but it is not as good, in many
ways, as the current system. The main problem is any that is still in
service is very old. Some parts of the system may be suffering from
age. It is not likely that it has the capacity for typical current
needs. It is also true that few people have any experience with it so
maintenance is a problem.

In short, I would advice replacing it anytime you have access to do
so. I recommend replacing all parts of any circuit at the same time.
if someone sees one part modern, they may assume the rest is modern
and that could be very bad.

As I recall, you can leave it as is if it is not touched, but you
can't make changes to it other than to eliminate it.

I once faced this about 40 years ago in my own home, and I replaced
it all. Some of the wires likely are still there, but they are no
longer connected.