Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Sump Pump Stored 7.5 years

Erma1ina wrote:
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

Under what conditions was the pump stored. In a hot attic,
a cool dry place or an outbuilding?

TDD