Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Sump Pump Stored 7.5 years

I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erma1ina wrote:
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

Under what conditions was the pump stored. In a hot attic,
a cool dry place or an outbuilding?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

Under what conditions was the pump stored. In a hot attic,
a cool dry place or an outbuilding?

TDD

It was stored in a cabinet in my unfinished basement which ranges in
temperature from about 60 degrees in winter to about 75 degrees in
summer with a pretty constant 40 - 50 percent humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erma1ina wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Erma1ina wrote:
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

Under what conditions was the pump stored. In a hot attic,
a cool dry place or an outbuilding?

TDD

It was stored in a cabinet in my unfinished basement which ranges in
temperature from about 60 degrees in winter to about 75 degrees in
summer with a pretty constant 40 - 50 percent humidity.

If it had been a hot attic, I would be very concerned.
You certainly stored it properly. Is there a local pump
shop or electric motor repair company in your area? If
so, you might ask them what they would charge to check
the pump out. It's a good pump and most people think
highly of them. I've seen them priced from $90-$150 new
and $60 for a factory reman. I would find out the cost of
a seal replacement verses new pump. The local shop may
check it for you at no charge and be able to tell you
if the seal is bad. In my area we have some good motor
and pump shops that will check out a pump like yours at
no charge and repair them economically.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Erma1ina wrote:
[...]

In addition to storage in a hardware-friendly environment,
is there anything else that would help keep a spare pump in
ready shape?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

Why not test it? Set the pump up in a 5 gallon buckets filled with water and
pump the water to another bucket set above it. Set up either a drain hose
from the bottom of the top bucket-- or siphon the water from the top one
back to the lower one making a closed test system. Balance the input/output
so neither runs dry and let her run for a few days. Then you'll now if it's
good or not!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Erma1ina wrote:
[...]

If I had a spare pump, I would test run it once a year.
Heck, you can have a defective pump that's brand new.
The sump pump systems I've worked on in industrial
applications are often setup in pairs and have a control
system that will run each pump alternately. If one pump
fails, there is no flooding. I've seen homes that have
two pumps, one pump is installed higher than the other.
That type of installation is good for backup or unusual
situations where more water than normal comes in.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Runtime Error wrote:
"Erma1ina" wrote in message
[...]

If his new pump has a bad seal, he could damage
the motor. That pump is filled with oil not only
for corrosion protection of the motor but for
heat transfer.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 12:02*am, Erma1ina wrote:
I decided to replace my still-working but aging sump pump with one (1/3
hp Wayne CDU790) that I got 7.5 years ago and kept stored in its
original packaging.

When I took the pump out of the original box, I noticed a small amount
(probably less than an ounce) of oil in the discharge volute. My fear is
that the motor seal has weakend from being on the shelf for so long.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether the pump is too risky, either
mechanically or electrically, to install.

How must did it cost, 40$ or 200. A 40$ pump I would run maybe alot
more has gone bad from non use. Bearings, contacts, who knows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:24*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Bryce wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Erma1ina wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

all pumps, spare or in service, should be run for at least a few
seconds say once a month so that the bearings don't sieze up..

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Erma1ina wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions, Daring Dufas.

I checked with my local plumber who thinks it should be OK. Also, taking
your advice, I called a local electric motor repair shop who said they'd
be able to check it out for about $10.

The pump seems to work just fine - I ran through several sump loads to
watch it and listen to it. I've got another, identical pump on order
and, when it arrives, I'll install it IMMEDIATELY after cycling the
"stored" pump through a few more loads. Then, I'll let the "stored" one
sit and check it after a month or so to see if more oil has leaked. If
it hasn't, I'll just rotate the 2 pumps yearly so that I always have a
backup. If more leaked, I'll take it in to the shop to have them check
it out and, if need be and it's worth it, have them repair it.

Thanks again.