Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant. It is a solvent
that penetrates and removes the existing legitimate high film strength
lubricant.

Well, who says there was ANY lubricant existing where the WD-40 gets
applied? At least you now admit it IS a lubricant.

I have been consistent. " It is a poor lubricant."

Now you just want
to quibble about whether it is a good lubricant.

No, that's your quibble.

My position has been
consitent from the beginning. WD-40 is a perfectly good lubricant for
THE CORRECT APPLICATIONS.

OK. Name the applications where a real lubricant wouldn't be
better.

Admit it. WD-40's real benefits are related to rust prevention,
ability to penetrate, ability to clean, and convenience. It has no
advantage as far as its lubrication properties when compared to
any oil of similar viscosity.

I do refute your
stubborn and misguided (and erroneous) claims that WD-40 simply
doesn't ever lubricate at all under any conditions.

Now you are imagining things. Please quote me on your claim above.

Once the solvent evaporates the WD-40 leaves a thin coat of Paraffin
on the product that ends up gumming the works up, instead of lubing
the works.

Sez you. How many times do you have to be wrong in a day before you
reach your quota, and go back to sleep?

It's common knowledge that WD-40 leaves this film.