Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Insulating under floor

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/
R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to
face
up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24"
on
center is only approximate. (? 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting
strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.
The -1/2 is no problem, but if the spacing is over 24 those wires
don't hold well. How about stapling chicken wire across
perpendicular to the joists?
No matter how you put them up, you need chicken wire with small openings
stapled over the insulation to keep small animals out as they love to nest
in accessible insulation. The paper flanges won't keep anything out. They
can make quite a mess.
Hmm, he's talking about a ceiling I think. Wouldn't gravity discourage
nesting?

Hmmm,
As the title says, what does "insulating under floor" means? You must be
standing on your head, LOL!

Yep, under the floor. Around here, we call that the ceiling of the space
underneath, be that a cellar, first floor, or, in this case, excavated
crawl space.

Hi,
It main floor here. I never lived in a house with crawl space. Always
full concrete basement.