Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating under floor

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (± 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 12:36*am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. *Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. *Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. *What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? *Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. *Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. *(± 1/2 inch). *Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

The wires don't need to be precise fit. They bend, spring like.
All you need are wires longer than the largest distance. You can even
use them diagonally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (± 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

The -1/2 is no problem, but if the spacing is over 24 those wires
don't hold well. How about stapling chicken wire across
perpendicular to the joists?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 12:36�am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. �Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. �Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. �What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? �Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. �Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. �(� 1/2 inch). �Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

If you EVER have moisture issues, fiberglass batts are a bad choice.
once they get moist their R value drops a lot.

closed cell expanding spray foam costs more but isnt effected by
moisture
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:36*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. *Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. *Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. *What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? *Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. *Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. *(± 1/2 inch). *Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

The flange is stapled and at the bottom you keeping moisture from
entering, dont think everybody has beeen doing it wrong on millions of
houses for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face
up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (± 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

The -1/2 is no problem, but if the spacing is over 24 those wires
don't hold well. How about stapling chicken wire across
perpendicular to the joists?

No matter how you put them up, you need chicken wire with small openings
stapled over the insulation to keep small animals out as they love to nest
in accessible insulation. The paper flanges won't keep anything out. They
can make quite a mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (? 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Hi,
Friction fit will do. I did it at my cabin crawl space and no bats fell
off. I used R20 fiberglass bats 16 in. OC between joist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

Hmm, he's talking about a ceiling I think. Wouldn't gravity discourage
nesting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 7:28*am, " wrote:
On Oct 16, 12:36 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. ( 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

If you EVER have moisture issues, fiberglass batts are a bad choice.
once they get moist their R value drops a lot.

closed cell expanding spray foam costs more but isnt effected by
moisture

With fiberglass R value drops proportionatly as it gets colder below
32f, at -20 it might be 20-35% less effective, Foam excells in keeping
R value stable, it also doesnt settle. R value can be double that of
fiberglass, it keeps out moisture from your home and cold or hot air
infiltration. It should be painted to keep from oxidising and covered
in small wire as rodents will burrow. R 7 foam may be 3 times as
effective per inch, than fiberglass at cold temps. But there are many
types of foam to pick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
As the title says, what does "insulating under floor" means? You must be
standing on your head, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

Yep, under the floor. Around here, we call that the ceiling of the space
underneath, be that a cellar, first floor, or, in this case, excavated
crawl space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 5:36 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (± 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Polystyrene or similar pushed in as a tight fit will do the job.
You need at least five inches thick to do a proper job.You must ensure
that you leave no holes, as heat always moves to cold and your heat
will move out through those holes.
Then the problem is that the floor and joists are poor insulators in
comparison to polystyrene and your heat will leak out through the wood
joists. The best solution the that is insulate above the floor.
Perry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 1:07*pm, PerryOne wrote:
[...]

Wood had a fairly high r value it is not a poor insulator. Insulate
above the floor, that idea is a laugh. His heat wont "leak out" the
joists, even less so than fiberglass batts. Go look at log home R
values. He has about 6.5" of wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 11:36 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? Can't staple the flanges since they need to face
up
towards the heated surface. Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. (± 1/2 inch). Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

The flange is stapled and at the bottom you keeping moisture from
entering, dont think everybody has beeen doing it wrong on millions of
houses for decades.

Thanks Ransley,
This is in a crawspace between the first floor and earth. I would love to
simply staple the flanges BUT have been told the 'paper' always goes up
toward the conditioned (heated living space) side of the space. What gives?
Can I install it "paper down"?

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 2:24*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

In the attic heat rises so does moisture, in a damp crawl moisture and
cold incomming air rises to your inside. Ive seen quite alot of crawl
spaces and open buildings where it was done this way with no issues,
and mine maybe 80 years ago, but crawl spaces were dry, its the only
easy logical way to do it, and the paper down keeps air from going up
through easily. Read about how fiberglass looses efectivness at very
cold temps, paper down could help that issue. The Attic issue is to
keep attic wood dry so you dont mold then rot your roof away in a few
years with tight attics. Celulose and unfaced insulation without vapor
barrier are used all the time in attics. Staple it and be done, but
foam is really best if you have the $
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

Mice and bugs and spiders and such, will happily nest in overhead
fiberglass. It easily supports their trivial weight. As long as they
have a non-slippery path up there, they will move right in. I found wads
of fiberglas in the drawers of this desk, where the mice carried it on
their way upstairs since they were passing through the crawlspace.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Mice and bugs and spiders and such, will happily nest in overhead
fiberglass. It easily supports their trivial weight. As long as they
have a non-slippery path up there, they will move right in. I found wads
of fiberglas in the drawers of this desk, where the mice carried it on
their way upstairs since they were passing through the crawlspace.

That's been my experience as well. One year old house, crawlspace, fiberglass
between the trusses. Pulled the fiberglass down to spray some foam insulation
under a tile floor bathroom and found lots of mouse turds in the glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

It main floor here. I never lived in a house with crawl space. Always
full concrete basement.