Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default 'Joe the plumber' is not licensed or registered; made $40,000in 2006 (Toledo Blade)

on 10/16/2008 8:30 PM alarman said the following:
wrote:

'Joe the plumber' isn't licensed

In CA, tradespeople who work for a company are not licensed. The licence is
issued to the contractor, (the boss, owner, partnership, LLC, or corporation
that runs the business. Most plumbers are employees of contractors. I think
is works the same way in OH.

In the NY county I live in, employees of plumbing contractors are not
required to be licensed and can work throughout the county on the
contractor's license, except in the major cities.
In the NY county I used to live in (which is the abutting county), all
employees must be individually licensed.
Furthermore, in that other county, homeowners wishing to do their own
work must get a temporary license.
In all cases here and in the other county, all work must be inspected by
the county building inspectors.
Just pointing out that some counties may have more stringent, or
relaxed, rules than other other counties within the same state.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY