Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:19:37 -0400, wrote:

http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

How much faith should we put in a source that contains phrases like
""I haven't analysed it" and ""That would make WD-40 *like* the
formulation above" and "It is possible" and "could be something crude
like"?

Probably more faith than any other post on alt.home.repair.
Bruce Hamilton is a author who majored in chemistry.

I'm not questioning Mr. Hamilton's credentials. However, in this case
(11 years ago) he did nothing more than voice an opinion on something
he never analysed. "It could be this, it could be that."

With all the data out there on the WWW, I would think a more direct
source - perhaps someone who actually analysed the product in question
- as well as a more current one, could be found.

But, just like Mr. Hamilton, I'm simply voicing my opinion.

Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant. It is a solvent
that penetrates and removes the existing legitimate high film strength
lubricant.

Well, who says there was ANY lubricant existing where the WD-40 gets
applied? At least you now admit it IS a lubricant. Now you just want
to quibble about whether it is a good lubricant. My position has been
consitent from the beginning. WD-40 is a perfectly good lubricant for
THE CORRECT APPLICATIONS.

Do not use it as a substitute in the crankcase of your car, okay. That
would be a WRONG APPLICATION. At the same time, if you have a rusted
pair of pliers, WD-40 will free them up and lubricate them better than
the motor oil in you crankcase, which is too viscous, and will never
even reach the surfaces that need the lubrication, much less loosen
them up.

You'll also note that I haven't claimed that WD-40 is necessarily the
BEST product for any given application. I use two other products for
freeing up rusted parts that I prefer over WD-40 when they are
available. One is Kroil, and the other is PB Blaster. I do refute your
stubborn and misguided (and erroneous) claims that WD-40 simply
doesn't ever lubricate at all under any conditions.

Once the solvent evaporates the WD-40 leaves a thin coat of Paraffin
on the product that ends up gumming the works up, instead of lubing
the works.

Sez you. How many times do you have to be wrong in a day before you
reach your quota, and go back to sleep?