Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Insulating under floor

On Oct 16, 1:07*pm, PerryOne wrote:
On Oct 16, 5:36 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Got my crawl space dug out so I can move around. *Want to insulate w/ R19
bats. *Joists are 2x6 approx. 24 inches on center. *What's the best way to
hold up the insulation? *Can't staple the flanges since they need to face up
towards the heated surface. *Can't use the "wire struts" since the 24" on
center is only approximate. *(± 1/2 inch). *Was considering cutting strips
of Mylar and stapling them to the studs under the insulation.

Any other thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Polystyrene or similar pushed in as a tight fit will do the job.
You need at least five inches thick to do a proper job.You must ensure
that you leave no holes, as heat always moves to cold and your heat
will move out through those holes.
Then the problem is that the floor and joists are poor insulators in
comparison to polystyrene and your heat will leak out through the wood
joists. The best solution the that is insulate above the floor.
Perry

Wood had a fairly high r value it is not a poor insulator. Insulate
above the floor, that idea is a laugh. His heat wont "leak out" the
joists, even less so than fiberglass batts. Go look at log home R
values. He has about 6.5" of wood.