Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RB[_2_] RB[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe spindle mounts

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:56 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

***Now I get it. Inside. Are there many tools that have that particular
taper? Just off the top of my head I cannot recollect anything smaller than
MT2.

MT1 is the smallest common size on machine tool spindles and taper-
shank drill bits. My lathe's tailstock is MT2, which is a good useful
size for turning the likes of a 40 Lb hunk of scrap hydraulic cylinder
rod. MT1 drill bits fit with adapter sleeves. Normally tailstock drill
chucks work fine, my lathe was abused and has a replacement tailstock
spindle that is somewhat loose and taper-shank drill bits give better
results.

That's the risk of buying old machine tools. The 10" South Bend (or
Logan, et al.) is a nice lathe for a home shop but mine has a few
problems I have to work around. I can do that because like you I
design all the parts I make. It isn't the right machine to crank out
stuff for a living, that's probably why I could buy it fairly cheap.

I mentioned that Sears lathe as a bad example to avoid unless you only
make small toys out of soft material. It might actually be OK for
aluminum or brass gnomons but a poor choice to turn steel shafts for
your rotary polishing table. There may be others, I've seen complaints
about some of the Unimats being too flexible to make steel parts also.
I don't know much about the other mini lathes. 9 - 10 inch (diameter)
capacity seems about the minimum for making parts for gas-powered
equipment.

The old Sears/Dunlap/AA 109s are cute little metal lathe "models".
Their best use is freshly restored and painted and gracing a shelf in
your library. That's where mine are.