Chris Merrill

Default Router for router table

I'll second JGS's recommendation of the Triton. If you're looking for a
router for dedicated use...it really should be on list of "serious
contenders". I have one and love it.

One caveat: You said you wanted 'above the table height adjustment'.
I wanted that, too. The Triton does not have this. Even if it did,
you would need to reach under the table to lock/unlock the plunge
lock, anyway. I don't think I would trust any router-lift system
to have zero play without some sort of locking system...and AFAIK, none
of them have above-the-table-locking. However, I must admit that I
have not evaluated any of them in depth because they were too
expensive for my budget.

What the Triton _does_ have is very easy depth adjustment from under
the table, automatic spindle lock and single-wrench above-the-table
bit changing. It has two depth adjustments - rough and fine. I use
both every time. The fine adjustment is pretty sensitive and very
easy to use.

All-in-all, an excellent choice for table use. And it's quite a bit
cheaper than a new router + router lift.

You might also consider the Milwaukee - it has above-the-table
depth adjustment, also.

Chris

JGS wrote:
I was going back and forth between a PC 7518 and a "raiser" of some sort and the
Triton. While the PC package is Tried and True it was, however, about 2X the
price of the Triton ( $440CDN/ 320USD). I was offered the Triton on a 30 trial
period.
So far I love it. Once you remove the plunge spring ( a ten second job) it is
such a treat to use in the table. Height adjustment and bit changing are a
breeze.

--
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)