Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Gentry Bob Gentry is offline

Default Lathe spindle mounts

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:56:26 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

The outside of the spindle is a straight 1/2-20 thread. The inside is
reamed Morse 0 which makes the spindle nose a thin-walled tube that
flexes a little too easily. The good part is that the spindle takes a
standard Jacobs thread-mount chuck which is very convenient for
polishing and high-speed deep hole drilling as long as hole alignment
isn't critical. I used this lathe to drill the grease passages in the
pivot pins for my front end loader, after center-drilling them
accurately in the South Bend. Drilling sixteen 3/32" holes 2" deep was
just too tedious on the SB.

There are several other "why do it?" design choices on the 109 lathe.

***Now I get it. Inside. Are there many tools that have that particular
taper? Just off the top of my head I cannot recollect anything smaller than
MT2.

Good evening

iirc. . . Sherline lathe, Tailstock MT-0, Headstock MT-1

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net