Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default panel spacers

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 5:49 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 14, 4:08 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

. ..

I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have
comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers
and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's.
Works for me.

Max

Yup.. that's what I use too...and have been for years. (But I think
Franks is having us on....G)

Nope, serious question. At twenty bucks a thousand, no cutting, or
trimming, I'm going to buy either one or the other of the two.
Actually think it would be more cost effective than weather
stripping.

I've used both, and much prefer the spheres. Sometimes if you need to
slide the panel a bit, the barrels will tip up on end and cause
problems. Just make sure you get the right size for the groove you'll
be cutting. You want the Space-balls to be a press-fit so they won't
fall out. I start them with my fingers, but set them to the bottom of
the groove with the end of my 6" steel ruler. I find it's quickest to
line up all the stiles & rails in front of you and then grab the balls
in pairs. Push them in by hand first, being sure your in far enough
from the end of the stiles, then go back and bottom them out with a
ruler or such.

JP
Not those balls.

How far apart along the length of the rail and stiles do you put them?
CC