Posted to rec.woodworking

Default panel spacers

I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's.
Works for me.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 4:08*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I need to order some raised panel spacers. *Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's.
Works for me.

Max

Yup.. that's what I use too...and have been for years. (But I think
Franks is having us on....G)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 14, 4:08*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I need to order some raised panel spacers. *Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's.
Works for me.

Max

Yup.. that's what I use too...and have been for years. (But I think
Franks is having us on....G)

Nope, serious question. At twenty bucks a thousand, no cutting, or
trimming, I'm going to buy either one or the other of the two.
Actually think it would be more cost effective than weather stripping.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Just FWIW, and in a pinch ... and perhaps too old fashioned/cheesy for most
these days, but I've occasionally used a method learned from an old cabinet
maker in England many years ago:

"string" or "twine"

.... the baling variety works fine.

Judging from the work of his ancestors (pieces that were still doing what
they were made to do), it appears to have worked for at least a couple of
hundred years.

YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just FWIW, and in a pinch ... and perhaps too old fashioned/cheesy for most
these days, but I've occasionally used a method learned from an old cabinet
maker in England many years ago:

"string" or "twine"

... the baling variety works fine.

Judging from the work of his ancestors (pieces that were still doing what
they were made to do), it appears to have worked for at least a couple of
hundred years.

I've always understood this as a fairly common practice. Also, wooden
boats are chinched with jute rope and old plank floors have rope
chinching, after they have dried and shrank. Agreed, rope as an
expansion material, this way, is certainly not new. Rope can be
stained, as well, to match nearly any color needed. Whether rope or
baling twine, dipping in wax, before applying, is common, also, though
I am not sure about this on/in panel applications.... certainly can't
hurt. In a pinch, waxed rope can seal a boat's shaft from water
leakage.

In a home, near here, someone tried to fill gaps in a plank floor with
tile grout. What a mess. I couldn't believe that.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 4:40*pm, Sonny wrote:

In a home, near here, someone tried to fill gaps in a plank floor with
tile grout. *What a mess. *I couldn't believe that.

Sonny

Saw one done with silicone recently. Parts ofd the gaps were wet with
water when it was applied...it was disgusting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Oct 14, 4:08*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

. ..

I need to order some raised panel spacers. *Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's.
Works for me.

Max

Yup.. that's what I use too...and have been for years. (But I think
Franks is having us on....G)

Nope, serious question. *At twenty bucks a thousand, no cutting, or
trimming, I'm going to buy either one or the other of the two.
Actually think it would be more cost effective than weather stripping.

I've used both, and much prefer the spheres. Sometimes if you need to
slide the panel a bit, the barrels will tip up on end and cause
problems. Just make sure you get the right size for the groove you'll
be cutting. You want the Space-balls to be a press-fit so they won't
fall out. I start them with my fingers, but set them to the bottom of
the groove with the end of my 6" steel ruler. I find it's quickest to
line up all the stiles & rails in front of you and then grab the balls
in pairs. Push them in by hand first, being sure your in far enough
from the end of the stiles, then go back and bottom them out with a
ruler or such.

JP
*********************
Not those balls.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

wrote:
On Oct 14, 4:08 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

How far apart along the length of the rail and stiles do you put them?
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 9:11*pm, "CC" wrote:
How far apart along the length of the rail and stiles do you put them?

Oh a few inches in from each end. Just don't push them in where the
rail meets the stile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

I've used the spaceballs and have been happy with them. They are cheap,
and if you don't do a lot of doors, a box of 1000 goes a long way.

Interesting aside, last year I repaired and RV door for a friend. The
original door used what looked like white surgical tubing stapled into the
panel groove. My only concern with the spaceballs in that application is
that they don't all get vibrated down to the bottom of the panel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:16:54 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments
on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and
synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.

Frank

Thanks to all who responded, I think I'll go with the spaceballs.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 9:11 pm, "CC" wrote:
How far apart along the length of the rail and stiles do you put
them?

Oh a few inches in from each end. Just don't push them in where the
rail meets the stile.

thanks Jay, I didn't know if they were placed in multiple locations
along the rail and stiles or just one on each end,
CC