Bob G

Default Router for router table

Todd Fatheree wrote:

I'm looking into building a router table soon and before getting into that,
I'm thinking about the router I would want to have in there. I have a PC690
that I do NOT plan to use since whatever goes in there I'd rather leave. In
order to have something that's easily adjustable, the two main candidates
are a) a fixed-base router with something akin to the "Router Raiser" or a
plunge router that has a microadjustment feature accessible from the top.
The obvious advantage to the plunge setup is cost. However, I've read
conflicting accounts of the usefulness in practice of the microadjustment of
some plunge routers. Does anyone have positive or negative comments about
the current crop of plunge routers and their effectiveness and ease of use
in this scenario?

todd

I have four seperate Router tables set up in my shop ..one conventional
Benchdog "store bought" unit... one in the wing of a Table saw plus a
a horizontal and pin router set ups or tables.....

ALL have a Cheap DeWalt 710 mounted in them (the 1 Hp unit..150 buck
one..not really sure if 710 is the correct number)

I just do not need a extremely powerful router... Nor have I felt the
"need" to buy a router raiser set up...although I may "want" one in the
future especially in the router mounted in the Table saw wing...since it
is mounted at such a low height ...

For General hand held use I use the PC with both the fixed and plunge
bases...again not an overly powered router..

Bob Griffiths