JGS

Default Router for router table

Hi Todd,
At a critical point in a time sensitive project my 3.5hp router gave up the
ghost so I need a replacement quickly. After reviewing goggle and other sources
I was going back and forth between a PC 7518 and a "raiser" of some sort and the
Triton. While the PC package is Tried and True it was, however, about 2X the
price of the Triton ( $440CDN/ 320USD). I was offered the Triton on a 30 trial
period.
So far I love it. Once you remove the plunge spring ( a ten second job) it is
such a treat to use in the table. Height adjustment and bit changing are a
breeze.
The first task I put it to was to route blind slots (1.5") in oak for poker
chips using a 1.5" core box bit. Its slow speed setting is great for large
bits. I did this by dropping the oak pieces on the moving bit , this causes a
bit of vibration which at first caused the switch safety slide to close ,
shutting off the router. A thin piece of cardboard fixed the problem and I ended
up with 16 perfect slots. In order to hold the chips properly the depth must be
exact. The fine adjustment worked flawlessly.
The next task was to round over the edges of some 2" oak tables. Very quickly
moved from small round-overs to ending with a 1" radius bit.
It is ok as a hand held plunge router, however, if my task were to buy a
router for hand held plunge use I would look elsewhere but you were looking for
a table router. Three weeks into my trial period would I do it again? you bet I
would. As it is a relatively new tool I will post sometime in the future with an
update. Cheers, JG

Todd Fatheree wrote:

I'm looking into building a router table soon and before getting into that,
I'm thinking about the router I would want to have in there. I have a PC690
that I do NOT plan to use since whatever goes in there I'd rather leave. In
order to have something that's easily adjustable, the two main candidates
are a) a fixed-base router with something akin to the "Router Raiser" or a
plunge router that has a microadjustment feature accessible from the top.
The obvious advantage to the plunge setup is cost. However, I've read
conflicting accounts of the usefulness in practice of the microadjustment of
some plunge routers. Does anyone have positive or negative comments about
the current crop of plunge routers and their effectiveness and ease of use
in this scenario?

todd