Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Paint with what?

"JimR" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
ransley wrote:
On Oct 14, 6:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some
trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful
results. Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint
looks like it was applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result
looks like an alligator hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the
aforementioned application techniques back to the paint store and
accuse them of selling an anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment
instead of paint.

Latex is second to oil, and Behr is second to the better latex junk,
Peavy makes guitars not brushes.

Sorry. It was a PURDY brush.

I used Behr semigloss for panelled doors, using their primer and a medium
quality Purdy brush. I found that when it was being applied you could see
a lot of brushmarks but it dried extremely smoothly and all brushmarks
disappeared. I was extremely happy with the results and felt they were
the best I'd ever done -- better than the professionals had done using an
air sprayer a few year earlier.

If your unsatisfactory results were evaluated after everything was
completely dry, I can only guess that the climate was so arid that the
paint dried before the brush strokes had smoothed out. OTOH, if your
evaluation is based on the appearance after you've finished applying the
paint, wait a day until everything has dried before handling or
installing.

Also, what's it going over? Raw wood, primed, 87 coats of doG knows what?