Posted to alt.home.repair
Old and Grunpy[_2_] Old and Grunpy[_2_] is offline

Default spark at 5-gang surge protected sockets when plugging in laptop.....?

GRUMBLINGS

"151" wrote in message
hey all!

I have a 5 way plug socket thingy with "surge protection" built in.
When I plug my laptop psu (or phone charger) into it and it is already
switched on at the wall I often see an spark. It seems to work fine
however. Whats the deal?

I read the following but I am skeptical:

"If you are plugging/unplugging under load it means that there is some
abrupt energy change causing a spark. Inductors (motors) try to
prevent changes in current. So if you unplug one while on it will
spark. Capacitors try to prevent changes in voltage. So if you plug
something in with a switchmode supply, it will spark as the input
capacitors try to quickly charge."

Is this "normal" or expected sometimes? i mean my laptop uses a
switched mode psu - I just want to be sure my laptop is in no danger!!

cheers !