Posted to alt.home.repair
151 151 is offline

Default spark at 5-gang surge protected sockets when plugging in laptop.....?

hey all!

I have a 5 way plug socket thingy with "surge protection" built in.
When I plug my laptop psu (or phone charger) into it and it is already
switched on at the wall I often see an spark. It seems to work fine
however. Whats the deal?

I read the following but I am skeptical:

"If you are plugging/unplugging under load it means that there is some
abrupt energy change causing a spark. Inductors (motors) try to
prevent changes in current. So if you unplug one while on it will
spark. Capacitors try to prevent changes in voltage. So if you plug
something in with a switchmode supply, it will spark as the input
capacitors try to quickly charge."

Is this "normal" or expected sometimes? i mean my laptop uses a
switched mode psu - I just want to be sure my laptop is in no danger!!

cheers !

Posted to alt.home.repair
151 151 is offline

On Oct 13, 4:44*am, Art Todesco wrote:
RBM wrote:
"Old and Grunpy" t. wrote in message
GRUMBLINGS

"151" wrote in message
hey all!

I have a 5 way plug socket thingy with "surge protection" built in.
When I plug my laptop psu (or phone charger) into it and it is already
switched on at the wall I often see an spark. It seems to work fine
however. *Whats the deal?

I read the following but I am skeptical:

"If you are plugging/unplugging under load it means that there is some
abrupt energy change causing a spark. Inductors (motors) try to
prevent changes in current. So if you unplug one while on it will
spark. Capacitors try to prevent changes in voltage. So if you plug
something in with a switchmode supply, it will spark as the input
capacitors try to quickly charge."

Is this "normal" or expected sometimes? i mean my laptop uses a
switched mode psu - I just want to be sure my laptop is in no danger!!

cheers !

If you plug or unplug under a load, there will be a spark

Switching power supplies usually draw a
large current for a short time
when first plugged in. *This is the
charge the capacitor in the front end
of the supply. *Some supplies have
better inrush circuits than others.
The poorer circuits will produce a
bigger spark.

so its not likely to damage the PSU then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 11:29*am, 151 wrote:
so its not likely todamagethe PSU then?

Without or without an inrush current limiter, damage is unlikely.
However supplies with an inrush current limiter are even less likely
to suffer damage.

Same 'spark' would exist inside a switch. Making a faster 'break or
make' would reduce spark's intensity. But power is still applied just
as abruptly.

Repair of Acer laptop USB sockets? Peabody Electronics Repair 2 January 24th 08 11:09 AM
2 gang dimmer that fits a 2 gang backbox ARWadsworth UK diy 8 June 12th 07 07:00 PM
GE cooktop no spark - spark module or something else? autonut843 Home Repair 3 February 21st 06 02:11 AM
4 gang switched sockets Blair UK diy 3 December 2nd 05 06:12 PM
Difference between whole-house surge supressor and secondary surge arrestor Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 01:52 PM