Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Woodstove "plastic" smell?

On Oct 10, 1:01*pm, HerHusband wrote:
Andre,

Just wondering if you've solved the mystery of your woodstove smell
yet. I have a very similar problem and have taken the same steps you
have. *I have yet to try a fire with the insulation pad removed from
my Pacific Energy stove. *This was a suggestion as the pad could have
become contaminated by something, although it looks and smells fine to
me. *I have spoken to three different dealers for this stove and none
can offer any suggestions or solutions. *Very frustrating. *Hope you
can help. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, no. *We fired up the woodstove last night, for the first
time this season, and noticed the chemical smell again. It was very
faint, but still there.

I just cleaned the chimney and woodstove out last week, including
vacuuming all the ashes and everything out so nothing would be left in
there to create a smell. We don't have any kind of pad in our stove.

Like you said, it's frustrating...

Anthony

Andre Levesque

-------------------------------------
HerHusband wrote:

We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the
woodstove. It
seems to be most noticeable when we have a hot fire going. If I
damper down
the fire, the smell goes away.

I assumed it was just the paint on the woodstove or chimney pipe, but
the
smell never seems to burn off. And it's strong again the next time we
use
the woodstove.

I've cleaned the chimney, vacuumed all dust on and around the stove,
cleaned the door, etc. I've checked the walls around the woodstove to
make
sure it isn't coming from an external source, but they rarely even
get warm
to the touch.

We burn only clean dry wood (fir, pine, cedar, and alder mostly),
NEVER

garbage or other material that might produce the smell. In fact, we
rarely
even smell smoke unless I've opened the door to load wood or
something.

Our wood stove (Lopi Patriot model) also gets it's combustion air
from an
external source, not from the living space.

I've checked everything I can think of. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Anthony

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

My pacific energy woodstove insert does that each year for the first
few fires. I thought it might have been the crap atop the stove that
makes it's way in each summer (dust etc) but that was not the case. I
am convinced it is the paint. I think that the owner of the home
before me who installed the stove did not follow the directions for
the first fires that would properly bake in the paint job.